[vorbis-dev] The Oft Maligned comment field, initial thoughts.

Adam Scriven scriven at lore.com
Sat Jun 17 05:06:51 PDT 2000

Hey all.
Ok, so I'll stand up and be counted a newbie in this list too (just did the
same for the General discussion list).  I (once again) read through the
archives, especially the ones concerning the comment field.

First, I'm not a developer, per se.  I'm merely an anal-retentive power
user of such things, who likes to have my music archived, and sorted.

In reading through the comment tags discussion, I noticed that, once you
allow one thing, everyone else jumps in with what's important to them, and
you start to duplicate the proposed XML MetaData stream
unnecessarily.  Having a short field for identification purposes is a lofty
goal, but one, I think, that is harder to reach than would seem
apparent.  One person noted that he has 8 copies of an Orbital song (pls.
correct me if I'm wrong, I can't seem to find the reference again), and so
merely having ARTIST/SONG TITLE in the comment field would not be enough
for unique identification, but to go any further leads down the slippery
slope of "Genre's critical for me", and "What about Track Number".

I would like to propose that all identification is left to the XML
stream.  As Patrik Rådman posted (Re: [vorbis-dev] comment field proposal,
Fri 12 May 2000 - 20:27:22 PDT), you can identify the basics of a song with
the filename, as he does.  Now, I'm not trying to force anyone to do it MY
(I guess in this case HIS) way, but the line must be drawn somewhere, and
that will inevitably piss other people off.

I notice, in re-reading the archive, that I'm pretty much seconding what
Mark Elrod said (Re: [vorbis-dev] comment field proposal, Fri 12 May 2000 -
14:36:17 PDT).

As Monty pointed out, the Comment field is currently being used to identify
the vendor.  Why not keep this comment field for technical information
only, and use the XML field for information and MetaData?

I don't know how viable this is, and I guess it's up to Monty to draw the line.

Just my thoughts, I'll go back to reading now.
Adam