[vorbis-dev] Description of commits

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Jun 16 20:27:41 PDT 2000

At 04:03 PM 6/16/00 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 12:55:07AM -0700, Monty wrote:
>> I finally wrote up the result of the comment header specification
discussion.
>> It's in the doc/ directory now.  I plan on doing work in the libvorbis
comment
>> handling tonight to bring it up to date and make the interface more useful.
>
>Okay... I'll get this implemented in Vorbize and ogg123 pretty soon. A couple
>of questions, then, namely on how to give this information to the encoder.
>Should it be given on the command line as:
>
>vorbize --artist=a --track=b ...

I'd suggest this one. That's actually what mine (not yet entirely complete)
does (well --title, --track, --album are currently supported). It makes
more sense, and is easier to handle.

The winamp and xmms plugins currently create the in-program 'title' from
ARTIST and TITLE (if present), though in a slightly buggy way (was
implemented before Monty wrote the spec up, and I'd forgotten one thing
from the discussion).

I wouldn't bother changing anything there right now - the comment interface
is going to be the last big API change, I think, so you'd be better off
waiting until that gets committed (should also make doing that sort of
stuff a fair bit easier).

>or something else? I personally prefer the first or second ones. How about
the
>encoder just not bother with comments at all, and some other tool be provided
>to handle them? Is it possible to easily rewrite the comments header without
>messing with the rest of the stream (AFAIK not), or is it necessary to modify
>the comment header and then packet-in=>packet-out the rest of the stream?

Yes, you have to rebuild the second header packet, and then
packet-in->packet-out the rest of the stream, to be completely correct.
It's possible in many cases to do a faster version when certain conditions
are met, but it's more work that way, and it won't ALWAYS work.

>If it isn't too hard, I'll write that comment tool... I have time now.

It's fairly straightforward - I've got one lying around which is pretty
much complete, but with a more or less unusable interface, if you want to
start from that.

Michael