[vorbis-dev] Description of commits

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 13:03:31 PDT 2000

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 12:55:07AM -0700, Monty wrote:
> I finally wrote up the result of the comment header specification discussion.
> It's in the doc/ directory now.  I plan on doing work in the libvorbis comment
> handling tonight to bring it up to date and make the interface more useful.

Okay... I'll get this implemented in Vorbize and ogg123 pretty soon. A couple
of questions, then, namely on how to give this information to the encoder.
Should it be given on the command line as:

vorbize --artist=a --track=b ...

or

vorbize ARTIST=a TRACK=b ...

or

vorbize --comments "ARTIST=a,TRACK=b" ...

or

ARTIST=a TRACK=b vorbize ... # read from the environment

or (I don't like):

voribze ...
Please enter contents of each comment field:
ARTIST:
TRACK:

or something else? I personally prefer the first or second ones. How about the
encoder just not bother with comments at all, and some other tool be provided
to handle them? Is it possible to easily rewrite the comments header without
messing with the rest of the stream (AFAIK not), or is it necessary to modify
the comment header and then packet-in=>packet-out the rest of the stream?

If it isn't too hard, I'll write that comment tool... I have time now.

Kenneth