[vorbis-dev] .ogg extension what the?

Rage O Matic RageAMP at realedge.com
Wed Jun 21 21:05:24 PDT 2000

> Why is it .ogg? As far as I can see by what I am reading  ogg is the
> architecture and Vorbis is the Audio codec.

well, most files are 3 letters. i.e: MP3, ASF, EXE, etc...

 Do you want people saying
> "Do you have any ogg files?" "Where can I get the new barney Theme
> Song in Ogg format?" or go you want them referring to it as vorbis?

YES!!!

> Isn't it about time you got away from the .3 extension
> too?

a 3 letter extension makes sense. ogg is 3 letters- so why not use .ogg as
the extension?

> Why not
> .4 or .56 ?
How many people do you really think want to have a 56 character extension?

> If there is going to be a video format thats going to make it a lot
> more confusing.

Well, microsoft has a nice format called ASF. Many file types fit under
this, i don't see anyone else complaining...