[vorbis-dev] Bitrate scaling and forward adaptive ?

David Balazic david.balazic at uni-mb.si
Tue Jun 20 06:51:33 PDT 2000

I read this in the FAQ ( at www.vorbis.com, did everyone make shelters
for the slashdot effect ? The Vorbis beta release is not posted yet,
but is a matter of <some-time-unit>s :-)

> Vorbis has bitrate scaling - a feature that lets you adjust the bitrate
> of a Vorbis file or stream without reencoding; just chop the packets up
> in the sizes you want them.

So one can stream a 128 kbps file at , let's say , 28 kbps for modem
users , on the fly ? Cool.
And a more or less related question.
How is packet loss handled ?

I also read on the xiph.org site vorbis FAQ that is a forward adaptive
format. What does that mean ?

Also some notes on the vorbis.com site. The fact , that this is a beta
release is not emphasized enough in my opinion. Second the site says
the GPL is GNU Public License , while in reality it is General Public
License , fix it before RMS jumps on you :-)

David Balazic