[vorbis-dev] Vorbis On Macintosh

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Jul 30 11:36:28 PDT 2000

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, Dan Weinand wrote:

>     I want to know whether  you think I should try to port it using the
> various components tht are being used to bring vorbis to Be and others
> OR if i should wait till September when the public beta of Mac Os X (
> which is based on Unix). I have been told that unix stuff will be fairly
> easy to port to X, especially BSD stuff. i was hoping the public beta
> would be out by now so I could star development right away.

I think it's still important to have support for traditional MacOS. You're
correct that the unix versions should be trivial to port so OS X (though
you'll still want to do a UI) but it will be some years, I suspect, before
most people have upgraded. To not support such a major platform would be
rude. Especially one used by so many musicians. IMO, of course.

> Any ideas, comments, concearns, insults?

I would start with ogg123 using one of the cmd-line compatibility
libraries and writing a MacOS output module for libao. Vorbize should
be even easier, though you'll want to import AIFF (libsndfile?) and cdda
support. Once those're working, write a real ui for them.

In the vorbize case, I think the droplet interface makes the most sense.
Drag some number of files onto it, it pops up a dialog for the comments
header and starts compressing. If you drop an .ogg file on it, it should
open a comment *editor* dialog (preferable the same interface as before).

In the player case, I don't know what to do. Obviously the easiest thing
is to write a plugin for a popular player (a la WinAmp) if such a thing
exists on mac. You could also try a simple, optional progress window, with
the play/stop/skip etc. at menu options.

Sorry if the above is obvious, but you did ask for ideas. :)

Hope that helps,
 -ralph