[vorbis-dev] ogg123 HTTP streaming

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Sun Jul 30 06:16:01 PDT 2000

At 11:21 PM 7/29/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Can someone who knows Windows socket support and such port this over? And if
>you know sound, can you do libao too?
>Is there anything else non-portable in my quick hack that isn't so obvious?

Ogg123 isn't easily portable to non-unix platforms, though now that it uses
libao it would be possible. There's a whole bunch of minor things - they
could all be worked around, but I'm not sure that it's really worthwhile -
win32 people aren't going to want to run a command line audio player.

However, if you really want to do this, most of the changes won't be too
huge, apart from the addition of win32 support to libao, and maybe windows
socket stuff (not sure how closely winsock comes to compatibility).

As far as portability in general goes, libao looks pretty good apart from
the wav output (endianness difficulties again, I think - I'll try and fix
these up tomorrow, while I'm waiting for telco people to install a cable
modem (yay!)). Ogg123 itself doesn't appear to have any problems of this
type, but I haven't actually tested it.

Michael