[vorbis-dev] Mainline nonportability

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 19:37:16 PDT 2000

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 01:23:31PM -0700, Monty wrote:
> Sounds good.  I have to admit one of my motivations is political; I want to
> make sure the currently somewhat 'loose' coding in various modules/tools
> (relative to the core anyway) doesn't damage the perception of the core libs
> and the Vorbis format overall.  I had to strike the Fear of Monty into a

Yup.

> NetBSD developer who started mouthing off loudly on a mailing list about how
> badly all of Ogg sucked because Vorbize was linux only and he couldn't get
> anything to build on NetBSD (due to the libao configure abort).

It was a very simple fix. I doubt he was really a developer.

[...]
> Yes, he was in the wrong, but I can't run across/prevent all outbreaks of
> flame-boy disease, and those outbreaks *do* damage the project's credibility.

So let's form a company, patent Vorbis, charge royalties for it, more if you
complain... hmmm, sound familiar?

Anyway, in any sufficiently large group there is at least one total idiot, and
if (s)he happens to also have a big mouth, misinformation and flame can spread
way too quickly...

Kenneth