[vorbis-dev] Mainline nonportability

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Jul 28 13:23:31 PDT 2000

> >Actually, since we're on the subject, the core CVS module for Vorbis is
> >getting big and sprawling. I'm thinking it may be time to start spinning off
> >the tools and plugins into other CVS modules in order to compartmentalize
> >maintainance of this kind of woe
>
> Maybe we should put the plugins all in _one_ directory?

Sounds good.  I have to admit one of my motivations is political; I want to
make sure the currently somewhat 'loose' coding in various modules/tools
(relative to the core anyway) doesn't damage the perception of the core libs
and the Vorbis format overall.  I had to strike the Fear of Monty into a
NetBSD developer who started mouthing off loudly on a mailing list about how
badly all of Ogg sucked because Vorbize was linux only and he couldn't get
anything to build on NetBSD (due to the libao configure abort).

(No, Nemo, not you; you happened to mouth off in private to me at about the
same time ;-)

Yes, he was in the wrong, but I can't run across/prevent all outbreaks of
flame-boy disease, and those outbreaks *do* damage the project's credibility.

Monty