[vorbis-dev] Mainline nonportability

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 16:19:09 PDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 08:50:29PM -0700, Monty wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to remind people with write access on the CVS mainline not to put any
> tools/libs/patches into the main build that are not portable...  I'm getting
> not-very-pretty flames from NetBSD folks because libao fails to *configure*
> under NetBSD (let alone build), thus breaking building the build for the
> entire CVS mainline.
>
> Specifically:
>
> >checking size of int... (cached) 4
> >checking size of long... (cached) 4
> >i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.2A is not currently supported by libao
> >configure: error: ./configure failed for vorbis-tools/libao
> >xanthine:/gb/src/vorbis$
>
> Aborting the entire build becuase a single tool doesn't work is not good.

I'm committing a little modification for netbsd specifically, but since I
have no experience with autoconf and m4, a general solution will have to wait
until my guess-and-check work pays off...

Could the NetBSD folks try out the latest commit?

> Actually, since we're on the subject, the core CVS module for Vorbis is
> getting big and sprawling.  I'm thinking it may be time to start spinning off
> the tools and plugins into other CVS modules in order to compartmentalize
> maintainance of this kind of woe.

Agreed. But then we must make sure that Vorbis is installed in a standard
place. And I really want a shared library... could any suggested modifications
to the _interface_ be done soon, but as wrappers around the old functions until
they are actually implemented? Or perhaps a versioning header, even pre-1.0, is
in order.

Kenneth