[vorbis-dev] Vorbis On Macintosh

Chris Hanson cmh at bDistributed.com
Sun Jul 30 13:19:43 PDT 2000

At 12:25 PM -0700 7/30/00, Bob Bradley wrote:
>What I would do is implement Vorbis as QuickTime components. This would
>allow any QuickTime-based application to get Vorbis support for free.

This is a more difficult task than it seems at first glance.  It's
certainly not impossible, but there's a lot of detail work that would
need to be done to make this happen.

>You
>could easily make a Windows version as well since QuickTime is fully
>supported on Windows.

Again, not impossible, but not always as easy as it seems at first glance.

>BTW...You may want to check the archives for this mailing list. I believe
>somebody has ported Vorbis to the Mac.

I did, at MacHack in late June.  I haven't had much time to work on
it since then but I've decided that come Hell or high water I'm
getting it out the door today.

In the initial port, I made a bunch of changes to the vorbis library
source code that I wound up not needing.  I did a fresh get of the
source code today, and I've already got the library building with no
Mac-specific changes in CodeWarrior Pro 5.3.  Next I'm going to get
the encode and decode examples working.  Once they're done, I'll be
able to contribute my project files and Mac-specific source files.
That should happen tonight.

   -- Chris

--
Christopher M. Hanson