[vorbis-dev] HTTP streaming / mime type

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sat Jul 29 00:53:11 PDT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Michael Smith wrote:

> >Monty said something yesterday about the problem being in xmms/winamp not
> >the plugins. Apparently they assume anything coming over http is mp3,
> >rather than checking the format. That should be easy to fix.
>
> Guess I'll step forward here, since I'm currently maintaining the winamp
> and xmms plugins, it seems.
>
> In short - I wish. Both xmms and winamp shove all responsibility for
> fetching the data to the actual input plugin - so each plugin has its own
> (probably broken in one way or another) implementation. Other players
> (freeamp comes to mind, though I haven't looked at the guts of that) do
> this sanely - there's a seperate layer to fetch data, then one to decode.

Yes, I discovered this when I took a look at the code. :(

I have talked to the developers about it since, and they do intend to fix
it soon, but have no concrete timeline. The current plan, so far as I
understand, is to cut and paste the streaming code from the mp3 plugin to
the plugin support library. Then (here it gets muddy for me) hack in some
method of figuring out which plugin to ask to open the stream.

The also claim the streaming code stinks and needs a total rewrite.

> As a result of this, writing the streaming code means doing most of it from
> scratch (or duplicating large chunks of, say, the mp3 plugin code).

So the second is in fact the official plan, only without the duplication.

I'm trying to sell them on adding another layer or two of codecs, but
don't expect to succeed. :)

News anyway,
 -r

giles at ashlu.bc.ca