[vorbis-dev] HTTP streaming / mime type

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Jul 28 20:08:40 PDT 2000

>> > - does the current implementation (xmms/winamp plugin) support http
streaming?

>> Not at the present time.  Streaming is still being actively developed...
>
>Monty said something yesterday about the problem being in xmms/winamp not
>the plugins. Apparently they assume anything coming over http is mp3,
>rather than checking the format. That should be easy to fix.

Guess I'll step forward here, since I'm currently maintaining the winamp
and xmms plugins, it seems.

In short - I wish. Both xmms and winamp shove all responsibility for
fetching the data to the actual input plugin - so each plugin has its own
(probably broken in one way or another) implementation. Other players
(freeamp comes to mind, though I haven't looked at the guts of that) do
this sanely - there's a seperate layer to fetch data, then one to decode.

As a result of this, writing the streaming code means doing most of it from
scratch (or duplicating large chunks of, say, the mp3 plugin code).

Given that I've never written any non-trivial socket applications, I don't
intend to do this in the near future. If anyone wants to come forward and
help, I'm willing to do most of the work, but I don't want to get down into
the guts of the protocol right now.

Michael