[vorbis-dev] Mainline nonportability

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Jul 27 20:50:29 PDT 2000

Hi folks,

I'd like to remind people with write access on the CVS mainline not to put any
tools/libs/patches into the main build that are not portable...  I'm getting
not-very-pretty flames from NetBSD folks because libao fails to *configure*
under NetBSD (let alone build), thus breaking building the build for the
entire CVS mainline.

Specifically:

>checking size of int... (cached) 4
>checking size of long... (cached) 4
>i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.2A is not currently supported by libao
>configure: error: ./configure failed for vorbis-tools/libao
>xanthine:/gb/src/vorbis$

Aborting the entire build becuase a single tool doesn't work is not good.

Actually, since we're on the subject, the core CVS module for Vorbis is
getting big and sprawling.  I'm thinking it may be time to start spinning off
the tools and plugins into other CVS modules in order to compartmentalize
maintainance of this kind of woe.

Monty

Monty