[vorbis-dev] Library issues (BOUNCE vorbis-dev@xiph.org: Non-member submission from [rob@emusic.com]) (fwd)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Jul 26 11:52:42 PDT 2000

From: rob at emusic.com
Subject: Re: [vorbis-dev] Library issues (BOUNCE vorbis-dev at xiph.org:  Non-m
 ember submission  from [rob at emusic.com]) (fwd)
To: msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Cc: vorbis-dev at xiph.org
Sender: robert at emusic.com

On 26 Jul, Michael Smith wrote:

> There isn't any particular reason for this. If nobody objects, it would
> seem entirely reasonable to change it to libvorbisfile.a - leave this
> floating for a couple of days, if we don't hear anything against this, I'd
> say go ahead and change it (or bug someone else to - I don't know if you
> have CVS access)

I'd like to see this get done, but I don't have CVS write access. Any
volunteers?

> I imagine people will eventually. I would strongly suggest that people NOT
> distribute libvorbis in shared library form until 1.0, however. The API is
> stable, but I would expect binary incompatibilities to creep in (I think
> some needed additions to the comment interface, for example, will break
> binary compatibility, though not source compatibility)

If I want to do a pure source dist of FreeAmp with Vorbis support I need
to include the entire source for Vorbis as well. Hmmm. I may very well
just insist that Vorbis be installed in a pre-determined place rather
than duplicating the source.

- --ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert at moon.eorbit.net  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert

------- End of Forwarded Message