[vorbis-dev] Higher bitrates

Kenneth C. Arnold kcarnold at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 23 14:13:12 PDT 2000

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 01:37:52PM -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> It's fairly simple to change the bitrate by adjusting some params in
> mode.h. I don't know if anyone has done sufficent testing to compair it to
> MP3 at very high bitrates.
>
> If you really want the best quality at such high bitrates, there are
> archivers that can perform 3:1 for CD audio data losslessly and 4:1 might
> be possible.
Look for the Ogg Squish codec (Monty?). I've seen some others -- can't recall
the names right now.

I thought you needed new books for these to work -- but anyway, he's concerned
with compiled encoders, not messing around with the source. Could some people
in the know (e.g., Monty?) please get the other bitrates up and running? I can
then have support for this available immediately in Vorbize, as it would only
involve uncommenting a small block of code.

Kenneth