[vorbis-dev] Hello

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Feb 4 17:49:53 PST 2000

> Mayhem & Chaos Coordinator wrote:
>
> > Back off man! I've got dibs on that... :-)
> >
> > I just wish I had the time to look at Vorbis...
>
> hehheh... hey man... i did not know you were on this list... ok, you can do
> the decoder for FreeAmp. I will look closer at the possibilities for
> metadata.
>
> Monty wrote:
> > Vorbis includes a unlimited list of comments, but they're not currently
> > structured in any way.
>
> hmmm, looking at the website I do not see any info on this list of comments.
> can you give me some more detail?

Like I said, Documentation is an area needing work ;-)

Vorbis streams begin with three header packets.  First identifies the bitstream
and gives information like rate.  Second header is a vendor string plus a list
of 8-bit clean octet vectors.  The list is unbounded and vector length is
unbounded; the low-level API for setting/reading comments is the
'ogg_comment-xxxxxx' calls.  Third packet contains all the values for setting
up the decoder (including VQ codebooks).  The next packet is the beginning of
real data.

Also, to get you started, there are two API layers.  One is lower level (with
all the flexibility and verbosity that involves) found in codec.h, the other is
a decoder convenience lib (demonstrated in the xmms plugin and
'chaining_example.c') found in vorbisfile.h.

Monty