[vorbis-dev] Decode questions

Mayhem & Chaos Coordinator robert at moon.eorbit.net
Wed Feb 16 15:07:13 PST 2000

> > > # cdparanoia -B 1-1
> > > # ./encoder-example < track01.cdda.wav > test.vor
>
> Oh, btw, this we be a new flamewar, but I've been using '.ogg' since it's
an
> ogg bitstream.... but most people will know this as Vorbis. Shall we
decide on
> the official extension now if any?   We don't actually *need* one...

I'll just use .ogg for my FreeAmp implementation. I'd rather write code than
argue. :-)

> It is done.  Thanks for giving me that gentle kick.  Developing on two
> machines, neither synced with CVS... ;-)

Ok, I'll check it out later today...

> Sure...  But you have to end up with code for each one else you've got
lots of
> logic in a tight loop.  Old libOgg had this code in the low-level lib and
> moved it out this time around.  I can move it back in, the old code worked
> well, it was just a bit large (specific loops tunined for each case).

Well, its a classic trade-off where you need to sacrafice some cleanliness
in order to preserve your speed. I hate these trade-offs with a passion, but
what can you do?

> Nope.  Things are still at the 'break the bitstreams for each new day'
stage
> but not for much bloody longer.  BTW, do you know any good tech writers
with
> way too much time? ;-)  These APIs need to be documented, then the
bitstream
> format itself...

I do know a good documentation person, but she charges for the work she
does...

--ruaok         Freezerburn! All else is only icing. -- Soul Coughing

Robert Kaye -- robert at moon.eorbit.net  http://moon.eorbit.net/~robert