[vorbis-dev] Vorbis license terms?

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 15 15:14:36 PST 2000

>    How many times does it need to be said, the "free" in free software is
>about freedom and not price?

The free in "free software" is about freedom as well as price, but
that the freedom should apply to the users of the software as well as
the authors, right?  Otherwise we should all just go back to
exclusive use copyrights because those give us the most freedom over
the source we write.

The GPL denies freedom to commercial users of the software by forcing
them to the pay licensing fees set by the author (which may be set so
high that the company can't afford it).  The GPL also denies freedom
to projects using other free source licenses by tainting code.
Because all MIT software falls under the MIT (BSD) license, I can't
use or contribute to GPLed code at work, even though all our source
is available freely for download.  We don't even make any money off
it!

I believe the Free Software Foundation originally intended the GPL
not only to make source freely available to non-profit uses, but also
to hamper the commercial software industry by denying or discouraging
their access to the source (something the BSD license failed to do).
The eventual goal of the FSF is for all software everywhere to be
GPLed so that any computer-savvy user could get software for free by
downloading and compiling it.  This is why the GPL is intentionally
viral -- so that anyone who wants to take advantage of GPLed source
also has to take the GPL with it.

The Free Software Foundation wants us to give source away to anyone
who wants it, not make loads of money selling it to large
corporations (and thus supporting the existence of the for-profit
software companies).  The GPL was not intended as an excuse for why
you can't give a company exclusive rights to software they are paying
you consulting rates to work on.

>    There are a couple of reasons I can think of that someone may want to
>contribute major feature enhancements back: (1) because they want a
>company producing free software to make some money (this would also
>require a guarantee anything contributed back was released under the GPL),

I've never heard of anyone volunteering to answer tech support calls
at RedHat, despite the fact that RedHat's software is free and GPLed.
But people contribute to Linux source all the time.  The difference
is that people personally *use* Linux and if they work on it they can
get exactly what they want without having to pay for it.

My point is that the primary reason people donate their time to work
on free software projects is because they want to use the software,
not so a company can make money off it.  This is the Martha
Stewart/Norm Abrams mentality: the finished product better if I make
it myself rather than letting Microsoft/Apple/Sun/etc make it for me.
Who wants an operating system that says "No user serviceable parts
inside?"

I'm on this list because I want to add Vorbis support to SoundJam MP,
a commercial Macintosh encoder/player, so I can use it with my
Icecast server at work.  There's a one to one relationship between
the free software I contribute to and the free software I use.

It's actually funny.  I get paid to write software that no one makes
any money from, but people make money off the software I work on for
free.

>or (2) because they might work out a deal with some sort of payment for
>the contribution.

True, contributors of large patches can negotiate agreements about
licensing fees, but what about the hundreds of people who sent in
several bug fixes?  You can't expect a free software project to send
each of those people a check for $10 whenever they get a $50,000
license fee for use of their project!  My point isn't that it isn't
possible to make this fair.

>    And, of course, they can always fork the project if they like.

Ah forking the project.  That's a disease which is
license-independent... just look at the FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD
disaster to understand why you really really really don't want to
have that happen.

>    That said, I disagree with the notion that only proprietary software
>vendors would make use of the code.  There's plenty of GPL'ed software
>authors out there who would use the GPL'ed version.

My point was that commercial software makes up the bulk of Macintosh
and Windows MP3 encoders.  If Vorbis is GPLed, these companies will
be discouraged from adding Vorbis support because they won't see an
advantage to it.  Who wants to add yet another codec you have to pay
for (This time one that has less market adoption.)  At least if they
get an implementation for free you have a chance of convincing them
that supporting Vorbis is worth it.

If the goal is maximum penetration of Vorbis into the encoder market
(both free and commercial), then the implementation has to be free
(price-wise) to everyone.  If the goal is to be a free source project
then feel free to stay GPLed, but there won't be a SoundJam MP
plug-in (unless I take a liberal interpretation of the GPL).

--lxs