[vorbis-dev] Vorbis license terms?

Lynn Winebarger owinebar at free-expression.org
Tue Feb 15 13:46:53 PST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:
> Frankly, this is why the GPL annoys me.  If you want to call your
> source "free" then you shouldn't charge any money for it.  If Vorbis
> charges for commercial licenses then who would want to contribute a
> major feature enhancement to the source?  Why do unpaid work on a
> free source project so that the owners can get paid for it?  The BSD
> licenses (and to a lesser extent the LGPL) are the only licenses
> which commit the author to writing source which is free to everyone.
> Yes the BSD license allows you to make money off your free source,
> but it also allows everyone else to do it too.

   How many times does it need to be said, the "free" in free software is
about freedom and not price?
   There are a couple of reasons I can think of that someone may want to
contribute major feature enhancements back: (1) because they want a
company producing free software to make some money (this would also
require a guarantee anything contributed back was released under the GPL),
or (2) because they might work out a deal with some sort of payment for
the contribution.
   And, of course, they can always fork the project if they like.
   That said, I disagree with the notion that only proprietary software
vendors would make use of the code.  There's plenty of GPL'ed software
authors out there who would use the GPL'ed version.

Lynn