[vorbis-dev] CFLAGS / LDFLAGS

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Wed Dec 20 16:02:41 PST 2000

I notice that the user is not able to set their own CFLAGS or LDFLAGS in
the ao, ogg, vorbis, and voribs-tools projects.

Is there a reason for this?

I understand the fact that these modules want to set extremely high
optimization flags, and that most users won't know what these are offhand,
but there are times when it is useful for the user to specify their own
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS.  For example, I need to specify -D_REENTRANT for ogg and
vorbis-tools under Linux, and for all 4 modules under Solaris.

The way that the configure.in is coded *replaces* what the user has set in
the environment variables CFLAGS and LDFLAGS -- this is not normal style
for a configure script.  *Adding* to the user-specified CFLAGS/LDFLAGS is
fine, but *replacing* it disallows other things that the user may wish to
do.

I can submit a patch for this; it's an easy fix.

Also, I asked several days ago, but has anyone had time to look at the
patches that I have already submitted?  They were for:

- problems with static linking
- allowing compiles without gcc
- using the --prefix to find the ao, ogg, and vorbis libraries instead of
  having to use --with-ogg-prefix and friends
- fixes for compiling under Solaris with the native compilers (not gcc)

See:

        http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200011/0290.html
        http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200011/0291.html
        http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/0007.html
        (I assume that this last one will turn into the following on 1
         January:
        http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis-dev/200012/0007.html

Thanks.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"