[vorbis-dev] CFLAGS / LDFLAGS

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Wed Dec 20 16:23:13 PST 2000

Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu> writes:
> I notice that the user is not able to set their own CFLAGS or LDFLAGS in
> the ao, ogg, vorbis, and voribs-tools projects.
>
> Is there a reason for this?

Yeah, I noticed this, too.  One way to fix this would be to provide a
$(UCFLAGS) or something, which is specifically set aside for user-added flags.

> The way that the configure.in is coded *replaces* what the user has set in
> the environment variables CFLAGS and LDFLAGS -- this is not normal style
> for a configure script.  *Adding* to the user-specified CFLAGS/LDFLAGS is
> fine, but *replacing* it disallows other things that the user may wish to
> do.

This is particularly problematic for the ao library, as part of CFLAGS is a
define telling the library where to look for plugins, so if set your own
CFLAGS, it breaks things.

It would also be nice if the '-g' flag were always used.  AFAIK, there's no
reason not to include it when using gcc.

> - using the --prefix to find the ao, ogg, and vorbis libraries instead of
>   having to use --with-ogg-prefix and friends

Yes, this would be nice.  Maybe make the --prefix value the default if the
others are not specified.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann