[vorbis-dev] patents

Marshall Eubanks tme at 21rst-century.com
Wed Dec 20 06:26:07 PST 2000

Dear Ken;

"Kenneth C. Arnold" wrote:

> [snip quoted mail]

> Are there any audio journals that the Vorbis codec could get a
> detailed technical article in? How about IEEE (Spectrum)? There's lots

IEEE Multimedia would probably be easier to get into. Just watch out for
page charges if you're going to go into academic  publishing.

> of meaty math stuff in there that writing an article would
> expose (good for those of us who are lacking the necessary knowledge
> of the guts of the system to gain it without personally bugging Monty
> all the time :) -- and it would be especially nice if the journal
> could print the source just to prove it ... but that's probably asking

I have no doubt that serious technical journals in the right technical
areas
would print a well written article on Vorbis. It would certainly be
referred to
a lot... Many journals now have a on-line or CD-rom based repository
system for
things like code - you don't really want to read it, just to have it there.

> for too much, though.
>
> > Marshall
> >
> > > Btw if some people think that we must stop discussing patents here to use a
> > > separate list without archives available and controlled subscribers, I'd be
> > > happy to switch to this list.
>
> Perhaps we could move the patent discussion to an "undocumented"
> Slashdot sid? e.g. slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=vorbispatents ? That
> would be good IMHO because it provides a relatively accurate date- and
> time-stamp, and is controlled by an independant agency so info could
> not be faked, and Slashdot already offers threading, which even mutt,
> The Threaded Mailer, is starting to collapse on.

Sounds fine to me - just make sure to tell this list how & when to
switch over.

> $.02 -- but cost me more than that in sleep...
> --
> Kenneth Arnold <ken at arnoldnet.net> / kcarnold / Linux user #180115
> http://arnoldnet.net/~kcarnold/

                                   Marshall

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : tme at on-the-i.com     http://www.on-the-i.com