[vorbis-dev] patents and separate entropy coding

Borgerding, Mark A. MarkAB at xetron.com
Fri Dec 15 13:19:03 PST 2000

I have some similar thoughts.  I'm offering them up with some hesitation,
mainly because I do not have as much invested personally in Vorbis as many
of you.

Monty, I see your point about not wanting to tip the legal defense hand too
much, but ...
a highly public, professional, well thought-out refutation of all questioned
patents might make the whole thing go away much faster.

Let me explain,

It may be that Thomson genuinely believes that Vorbis is an encroachment.
If so, we should attempt to convince them otherwise.

It seems like the purpose of the suit, and especially Linde's comments, is
to increase FUD about Vorbis.  If we fight the FUD, the legal fight would be
fruitless for them to pursue.

Thomson hopes to quell Vorbis development, but the more publicity this case
gets, the worse the backlash for them if they fail.  If they fail in a court
to prove that Vorbis infringes on MP3 patents, they will not only have
exposed themselves to the world as the royalty-extracting monopoly that they
chose to be, but they will also have introduced the world to an alternative,
Vorbis.

In the end, this could be a good thing for Vorbis.  If it is proven, either
in a court of law or the court of public opinion, that Vorbis is not an MP3
ripoff and has some advantages over MP3, both legal and technical; then this
could actually act as a springboard for Vorbis.