[vorbis-dev] vorbis.com

Frank Klemm pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de
Sat Dec 30 22:23:44 PST 2000

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 03:07:31AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > When is Ogg Vorbis compilable on a normal installed computer? Currently I
>
> For just a standard compile, I haven't had any problems (ever).
>
> > haven't found a computer where I can compile the current CVS. If the
> > developer of Ogg Vorbis are interested in spreading OV over the net, some
> > effort in making a OV installation easy should be investigated.
>
> I think Vorbis will be included in most distributions, when we are
> out of alpha.
>
> > Ogg Vorbis:             configure errors
>
> Did you run autogen.sh, like the README mentions? If you did, and still
> get errors, don't complain, but show us the errors, so we can do something
> about it :-)

Tested on HP (HP-UX), Sun (Solaris), RS600 (AIX), Alpha (Digital Unix), SGI
Onyx (Irix) and finally on Linux (Intel 32 bit, SuSE + Redhat).
Always the same game:

pfk at f:~ > cd /home/cvs
pfk at f:/home/cvs > bunzip2 < /Archive/archiv/vorbis/vorbis_nightly_cvs.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
pfk at f:/home/cvs > cd vorbis
pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis > make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis > ./configure
bash: ./configure: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis > ls -la | grep -- -rwx
-rwxr-xr-x   1 pfk      users        1678 Oct 31 19:40 autogen.sh
pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis > ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for vorbis, please wait....
  aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 41: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
  libtoolize --automake
./autogen.sh: libtoolize: command not found
  automake --add-missing
automake: configure.in: installing ./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing ./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing ./missing'
configure.in: 41: installing ./ltconfig'; cannot run `libtoolize': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
configure.in: 41: installing ./ltmain.sh'; cannot run `libtoolize': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
configure.in: 41: installing ./config.guess'; cannot run `libtoolize': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
configure.in: 41: installing ./config.sub'; cannot run `libtoolize': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
automake: configure.in: installing ./config.guess'; cannot run `libtoolize': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
automake: configure.in: installing ./config.sub'; cannot run `libtoolize': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
  autoconf
creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: line 524: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libvorbis,1.0beta3)'
./configure: line 524: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libvorbis,1.0beta3)'
pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis > _

Searching the package in the SuSE distibution:
  no package found
Searching the package in the Redhat distibution:
  no package found
Searching libtoolize on internet:
  download on CVS: failed (stopped after some files)
  download on Digex: okay
  compiled and installed

pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis/ogg > ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for libogg, please wait....
  aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 16: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
  libtoolize --automake
  automake --add-missing
automake: configure.in: installing ./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing ./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing ./missing'
configure.in: 16: required file ./ltconfig' not found
configure.in: 16: required file ./ltmain.sh' not found
configure.in: 16: installing ./config.guess'; error while making link: Die Datei existiert bereits
configure.in: 16: installing ./config.sub'; error while making link: Die Datei existiert bereits
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.
Generating configuration files for libogg, please wait....
  aclocal
aclocal: configure.in: 16: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
  libtoolize --automake
  automake --add-missing
automake: configure.in: installing ./install-sh'
automake: configure.in: installing ./mkinstalldirs'
automake: configure.in: installing ./missing'
configure.in: 16: required file ./ltconfig' not found
configure.in: 16: required file ./ltmain.sh' not found
configure.in: 16: installing ./config.guess'; error while making link: Die Datei existiert bereits
configure.in: 16: installing ./config.sub'; error while making link: Die Datei existiert bereits
automake: configure.in: installing ./config.guess'; error while making link: Die Datei existiert bereits
automake: configure.in: installing ./config.sub'; error while making link: Die Datei existiert bereits
  autoconf
configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:151: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:152: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:153: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: line 525: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libogg,1.0beta3)'
./configure: line 525: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libogg,1.0beta3)'
pfk at f:/home/cvs/vorbis/ogg > _

Error messages changed.

Okay. It's 7:24 a.m.

My last steps:
  f:/ # rm -rf /usr/local/bin/libtoolize \
               /usr/local/share/libtool  \
               /home/cvs/vorbis          \
               /Archive/archiv/vorbis
  f:/ # _