[vorbis-dev] vorbis.com

Frank Klemm pfk at fuchs.offl.uni-jena.de
Sat Dec 30 16:41:06 PST 2000

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 12:06:02AM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Frank Klemm wrote:
> >
> > Where can I get a Ogg Vorbis decoder for Linux 2.2.15/glibc2.1?
>
> ...on x86?

Yes.

> > I do not spend more than 10 minutes for this, so don't spend any second
> > in proposal like: install Debian and call "debianfck --qfhgq -wjekfwh -dwkhw
> > --140.3.2.13 | dkd wmd --exlig".
>
> You can compile one from source... see http://xiph.org

When is Ogg Vorbis compilable on a normal installed computer? Currently I
haven't found a computer where I can compile the current CVS. If the
developer of Ogg Vorbis are interested in spreading OV over the net, some
effort in making a OV installation easy should be investigated.

"Normal installation"

mpg123:		installed within 3 minutes
lame:		installed within 5 minutes (compilation takes some minutes)
mppenc/mppdec:	installed within 2 minutes
toolame:	installed within 8 minutes (external tables are the problem)

For the ca. 1000 packets you find on a Unix system this is still work for
about 1 month.

"Bad results"

xregal (Movie DB)	installed after 6 hours (code modifications were
                        necessary, some libs were needed which I can't
                        compile on a modern Unix system).
xmms:			compile time errors
a lot of X stuff:	needs the original Motif stuff, R.I.P.
Ogg Vorbis:		configure errors

--
Frank Klemm