[vorbis-dev] http://www.vorbis.com/download.new.html is down

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Dec 25 19:26:56 PST 2000

> I don't know what your affiliation with the project is but I'm just trying
> to help.  I don't see any reason to respond so rudely my work, even if
> misguided, is an honest effort to add to the value of Vorbis.

It's common in many circles of programmers, especially young ones (and
especially BSD... I'm in this category too) that discussions seem to
get more heated than they really are all in the name of making a point.
Almost anywhere else (and among plenty of other programmers) this
behavior is still pretty rude.

I'm guilty of this too (years ago, a new co-worker once seriously
discussed calling security on my officemate at the time and myself not
realizing that we were, in fact, good friends and the raging argument
in process was part of our normal design process).

OK, anyway, my point is that I agree with the substance of Mike's
reply, but it was rude to someone coming into the project.  I'm sure
he didn't mean it; the substance is all that was intended.  I do that
too sometimes.  Apologies to Lars.

Of course, all bets are off if someone causes lots of negative work ;-)

Monty