[vorbis-dev] Optimization and doubles vs. floats

Segher Boessenkool segher at eastsite.nl
Tue Aug 29 14:31:07 PDT 2000

> >The mdct will be ok using floats. Don't know if all the rest of vorbis likes
> >floats, though.
>
>   Well, that is sort of what I'm wondering.  I don't want to have to take
> doubles as input to the MDCT, convert them to floats, do the operations,
> and convert back to doubles.  It sounds like I can just always use float,

You would only have to convert from double to float once; after the
mdct, floats are ok as well (decoder side, of course).

> though (at least according to Taral).
>
> >Which algo are you planning to use for the mdct? Oh, and Altivec is 128 bit,
> >right?
>
>   I'll probably start with what Takehiro Tominaga mailed out (haven't
> looked at it yet) or whatever ends up on the head of the repository.  Yeah,
> Altivec is 128 bit, so you can issue 4 floating point ops (including

Those 4 ops have to be the same, and the data must be in the right order
in your registers (or I don't know Altivec well enough; that's quite
realistic).

Because of this, the choice of mdct algo gets different.
Even a plain matrix mult can be fast, you know...

> mult/add) per cycle, assuming you don't run out of memory bandwidth,
> completion slots, etc.

Segher