[vorbis-dev] Optimization and doubles vs. floats

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Aug 29 15:00:17 PDT 2000

> >The mdct will be ok using floats. Don't know if all the rest of vorbis likes
> >floats, though.
>
>   Well, that is sort of what I'm wondering.

At this point, all of Vorbis will do just fine on floats.  Only the LSP used
to require the exponent headroom, and I replaced that code with a new
algorithm that has no such sensitivity.

Now that floats provide plenty of room, I'm thinking that taking the whole
sourcebase to float might be useful to relieve pressure on the cache
(regardless of relative FPU performance).  Segher, do you concur?

Monty