[vorbis-dev] Ogg VEO Codec, video in an Ogg stream

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Sun Aug 27 20:51:15 PDT 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, chad wrote:

> We did make some progress on an opensource video codec named Tarkin.. We do intend it to go into the
> Ogg system, but we have been busy working on vorbis.  We've gotten 1:30 compression, and with the
> ideas we have now (no chance to implement them) we're looking at least 1:50/60 with more dev
> time.. The goal is to have it about 1:100.

Ooh, a hole in the fence! Care to explain these fabled ideas? Or at least
give pointers? Monty once mumbled "Chirplets, my boy" but that's about all
I know. :^)

Is 1:100 enough? I'd been thinking "100 minutes of VHS quality video
on a CD" was a good goal, which is more like 1:200. I understand MPEG-4 is
supposed to be this good...unless those numbers are fudged?

For comparison, 320x240 1.5 Mbps MPEG-1 is something like 1:25; the 1:100
you may have heard of includes 2x2 downsampling, which isn't really fair,
IMHO. OTOH, some consider this to be "VHS quality" already, so maybe your
goal is fine.

DVD uses MPEG-2 at anything between 3.5 and 9.8 Mbps, 9 being
considered the "point of dimishing returns" on the 720x480x24 format.
That's also in the 1:20 to 1:50 range.

 -ralph

giles at ashlu.bc.ca
*crackle* The Director is a Humpback whale. Hold all calls. *crackle*