[vorbis-dev] vorbis' configure

Erik Kruus kruus at duck.com
Wed Aug 23 06:58:11 PDT 2000

> Can the 'CFLAGS=""' line be removed?  I don't think it will break
> anything, and it should allow greater flexibility to the user.
>
> Thanks.
>
> {+} Jeff Squyres
> {+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
> {+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
> {+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"

While you're at it, perhaps make all the config stuff apparent for newbies
like me?  I wouldn't mind all the configure options
being visible when I type ./configure --help in the top directory.
I might be leaving out some but, I wouldn't
mind being overly helpful.  Perhaps

# [ejk] hack
AC_ARG_WITH(cflags,
        [  --with-cflags[=ARG]     add compilation flags to all targets [\"\"]],
        [cflags="$withval"],
        [cflags=""])
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $cflags"
AC_ARG_ENABLE(oss,
        [  --disable-oss           (libao) disable OSS support],
        ,enable_oss=yes)
AC_ARG_ENABLE(irix,
        [  --disable-irix          (libao) disable irix support],
        ,enable_irix=yes)
AC_ARG_ENABLE(solaris,
        [  --disable-solaris       (libao) disable solaris support],
        ,enable_solaris=yes)
AC_ARG_ENABLE(alsa,
        [  --disable-alsa          (libao) disable alsa support],
        ,enable_alsa=yes)
AC_ARG_ENABLE(esd,
        [  --disable-esd           (libao) disable esd support],
        ,enable_esd=yes)
AC_ARG_ENABLE(default-output,
        [  --disable-default-output (libao) disable default output],
        ,enable_default_output=def)
# [ejk] hack

(Near the top of the main configure.in)

Now I can do something like
 ./configure --with-cflags="-mt -I/home/kruus -I/home/kruus/v" -disable-oss
and it seems to propagate to the Makefiles correctly

Of course there may be a better way!
Erik.