[vorbis-dev] vorbis' configure

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at lsc.nd.edu
Tue Aug 22 18:45:05 PDT 2000

It seems that the configure script in CVS does not check the CFLAGS
environment variable at all.  Indeed, on line 121 of configure.in, CFLAGS
is explicitly set to be blank.

Is this done for a reason?  I see that several sets of CFLAGS are passed
into the Makefiles by configure based upon specific architecture/compiler
combinations -- perhaps this is the reason...?

I ask because users may wish to pass in their own CFLAGS (for compiler/OS
combinations that are not specified, or need to pass additional CFLAGS for
thread-safety, etc., etc.).  For example, I needed to manually add "-mt"
to the Makefiles to get thread-safe generation muckety muck from the
Solaris workshop compilers.

Can the 'CFLAGS=""' line be removed?  I don't think it will break
anything, and it should allow greater flexibility to the user.

Thanks.

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} squyres at cse.nd.edu
{+} Perpetual Obsessive Notre Dame Student Craving Utter Madness
{+} "I came to ND for 4 years and ended up staying for a decade"