[vorbis-dev] WinAmp Streaming

Ralph Giles giles at snow.ashlu.bc.ca
Wed Aug 23 14:25:06 PDT 2000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Louis wrote:

I've said all this in the list archives, but here's my point of view. :)

> Other aspects:
> - Are you guys looking at "imbedded scripting commands" like windows media
> currently has?

I'm not sure quite what you mean here, but I've leaving
scripting/nonlinear presentation/interactivity out of Ogg for the moment.
I don't think it's time to do it properly yet. Of course you can add
whatever substreams you like, but they won't be official.

In the meantime, I recommend wrapping Ogg in your favorite scripting
system and just sync to the playing multimedia elements.

But see Monty's post on the "Four Pillars of Ogg" for the long-range view.
http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/0073.html

> - Will meta data streaming occur on the same port as the audio, or on a
> different port?

For http streaming, like mp3 is done now, we'll use the Ogg bitstream
format, which allows interleaving of arbitrary logical substreams. In that
case, as with files stored on disk, any associated data will be
transferred as part of the stream. Same port.

I understand Icecast's plan is to move to RTP/RTSP for streaming (a much
better choice). In that case a separate connection will be made for each
substream (and you can turn them on and off at will). That's all I know
about it.

> - Can we sync meta data with the audio?

Yes, in the future. I've been pushing for (a) xml for text-based metadata,
some of which will include timestamps for syncronization and (b) mng for
associated image data. See my posts to vorbis@ over the past couple of
months.

There's no code for this yet.

Hope that helps,