[vorbis-dev] WAV header (hey Mike)

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Aug 21 07:56:55 PDT 2000

At 10:38 AM 8/21/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> Yeah. I copied the wav header code from somewhere else. I didn't have any
>> info. on the format at the time, which makes it rather harder.
>
>Probably from vorbize (mine)? Well that came from the WAV _writing_ code
>for mpg123 (which came from who-knows-where); I never considered that a
>valid WAV-format RIFF file could be produced in any other way than written.

Yeah, it was from vorbize. It turns out that there are plenty of evil
things one can do with an otherwise normal WAV file to make it do bad
things. I've rewritten it now, so it SHOULD work sanely - but I haven't
actually tested it with any non-standard wav files.

>There's probably a bunch of other stuff that's broken in the same way ;)

Possibly, though I think it's fixed now.

>How about we steal the WAV code from sox? That handles more obscure formats,
>too, and (with sox's effects layer; we wouldn't have to pull the whole thing
>in for it though) changing bitrates and stuff...
>
>but using a library already written for the purpose would be better IMHO. My
>original stuff was hackish and it's amazing how long it has survived. At
least
>it works in 95% of the cases (like most sane WAV writers...) Unfortunately
>insanity shows up sooner or later.

Yep - entirely agree. However, we don't want to REQUIRE that people have
some other library (libaudiofile, for example) - it's a great thing to have
optionally, but we do want working support for one format (wav) in the
program itself.

The way oggenc is structured, it should be pretty trivial to add optional
support for libaudiofile, I'm just really busy with other things these
days, so I haven't got to it yet.

Michael