[vorbis-dev] Problems with Vorbis & Mac OS

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Fri Aug 18 01:57:20 PDT 2000

At 05:43 PM 8/18/00 +1000, you wrote:
>I'm currently writing a (really simple) QuickTime component for
>playing Vorbis files, and I've run into a problem which appears to be
>in libvorbis, not in my code - it affects the sample encoder &
>decoder as well as my component.
>
>When I encode a file on the Mac using the sample encoder, I can
>decode it again with no problems. However, if I try to decode a file
>I've downloaded (from www.vorbis.com) or encoded in Linux (on the
>same machine), the sample decoder fails saying "corrupt secondary
>header". Files I encode in MacOS won't play in Linux, either; the
>sample decoder fails saying "End of file before finding all Vorbis
>headers".
>
>This is using CVS source from about 24 hours ago...

It is possible there is a bug here, but it's more likely that this is a
direct result of a translation from normal line endings to macos-style ones
(or the other way around). I'm not a mac person usually, but I've seen
exactly the same symptoms occur with mixing unix/win32 - you get corrupt
secondary headers. Check with your favourite hex editor to see if this is
indeed the case.

If it's not, and there IS an actual bug, then there may be rather a lot of
hunting to do - it could be a compiler bug, or (much more likely) it could
be a bit of code with results that aren't strictly defined, and which your
mac compiler compiles differently than gcc. Again, similar problem occurred
with the original port of libvorbis to win32 (that one was really nasty to
find.)