[vorbis-dev] Future of vorbis-tools (was Re: Manpages)

volsung at asu.edu volsung at asu.edu
Sun Aug 13 10:16:43 PDT 2000

> If you actually like writing manpages, might I suggest one for oggenc? It's
> now in CVS, sitting around in vorbis-tools. I haven't removed vorbize from
> the build yet, because some people are doubtless using it. I believe Monty
> intends for oggenc to be the 'official' b2 encoder

Actually, I hate groff.  It's a nasty markup language.  :)  [Does anyone know
of a better tool for making man pages?  Please tell me!]  But, yes, I wouldn't
mind doing a manpage.  Can you send me some example command lines with short
(3 sentence max) descriptions of what they do?  OggEnc is fairly complex; some
examples in the manpage about how to use it (especially the pattern-based
naming) would be helpful to users.

You also reminded me of some questions I was about to ask:

* What is the goal of the vorbis-tools tree?  Is it to provide basic command
line utilities to UNIX-like systems?

* What tools/capabilities do we need for the eventual 1.0 release?

* Is vorbize really going to be deprecated in favor of OggEnc?

* Are the vorbis-tools eventually going to be spun off into their own package?
If so, when will we see a shared library version of vorbisfile and libvorbis
distributed?

---
Stan Seibert