[vorbis-dev] Thoughts on vorbisfile

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Thu Apr 20 22:59:02 PDT 2000

>I have not looked at vorbisfile enough yet, but it's not yet clear to me
>how randomly it's going to try to seek around the file... I assume that
>since everybody thinks streaming is good, the answer is not too much...
>
>   -Jonathan.

Basically, when you open a file (ov_open()), it checks whether it's
seekable (my proposed abstraction would allow you to give a NULL seeking
function, so it would never try and seek). If it's seekable, it'll jump all
over the file to find out interesting info like track length, average
bitrate, etc. (Actually, for the simple case of a single logical bitstream,
it'll just look at the end of the file, until you try and seek)

If it isn't seekable, well... you can't seek. You also can't find out some
stuff like total track length (which is a pain, but there's no way around
it, really). However, straight-through playback works fine, and it won't
even try and seek (it keeps a flag specifying whether it's seekable).

So, if you were to make sure it was unseekable (or at least thought to be
so), then vorbisfile would be happy, and would not try to move around in
unexpected ways.

Michael