[vorbis-dev] Thoughts on vorbisfile

Jonathan Blow jon at bolt-action.com
Thu Apr 20 22:53:56 PDT 2000

> So - what do people think of doing this? It would make vorbisfile much more
> useful, at the expense of very little added complexity (and if we retain
> the current ov_open() call, none except when the extra functionality is
> needed).

I agree that it's a good idea.  For e.g. the game I am working on, I'm
going to want to stream long audio tracks in a fully asynchronous way
(you can't stop to read from disk, as you'll drop frames).  Being able
to abstract reads is just the right thing; if it's restricted to using
stdio, I cannot use vorbisfile at all unless I do funky thread things
that I am unwilling to do.

I have not looked at vorbisfile enough yet, but it's not yet clear to me
how randomly it's going to try to seek around the file... I assume that
since everybody thinks streaming is good, the answer is not too much...

   -Jonathan.