[vorbis-dev] ETA?

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Oct 1 17:20:59 PDT 1999

> Well, I noticed the list sort of died down, so I thought I'd submit my
> quota of useless traffic...

Sorry.  New product release at the day job took longer than expected (surprise
surprise).  I've pulled myself mostly out of the release loop.  I am actually
coding libvorbis again (and very likely leaving the day job for good in the
near future).

> Any rough ballpark estimates on when the coding code should be completed?
> I've been talking with various people (namely Peter Alm with xmms) about
> "vorbis enabling" their projects... but it is somewhat difficult to do
> considering the only example source I have to look off of doesn't work :)

Sorry about that; I've been kind of anxious myself about losing that kind of
motivation due to lameness on my part.

What I'm doing right now is ignoring the coupling/joint channel questions and
coding forward so that libvorbis produces multichannel bitstreams, but without
trying to eliminate any inter-channel redundancy.  I'll also be initially
implementing the least aggressive codewording so that folks have a libvorbis
that actually fully functions, then I'll go back and fill in the missing
blocks.

I'm guessing a week or two.  I'm not going to allow myself to be distracted
further by anything else.

> If encoding actual bitstreams does not loom in the not-too-distant future,
> perhaps you can provide eager developers such as myself with a little more
> information about the API?

Which part?  I can continue fleshing out the API docs in the docs/
subdirectory (which, I admit, are just a beginning to the programmatic
interface).  I'll also have working example code at the point that Vorbis
writes bitstreams, as I'll need it for my own testing.

I'll keep folks informed.

Monty