[vorbis-dev] XMMS plugin update

Tony Arcieri tarcieri at gjhsnews.com
Sat Nov 13 08:52:27 PST 1999

> The third is that the vorbisfile lib is
> not thread safe.  That doesn't affect things yet, but seeking will
> likely involve async access/manipulation of the OggVorbis_File struct.

Most other plugins handle this by having a call from xmms set a global
variable which the thread doing the playback checks.  This variable gives
the location to seek to, so the actual decoding is all still handled by a
single thread.

Using global variables in this fashion creates a module which is not
thread-safe itself, and may break some features which are being
implemented in the xmms CVS source right now (preplay, for example)
But at least for the short term I think this is a suitable way of doing
things.

Tony Arcieri