[vorbis-dev] Re: Tr: patent free format

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Aug 24 15:23:45 PDT 1999

> > >  So
> > >  it's closer to Dolby AC-X than to VQ. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that
> it's
> > >  not patended by Dolby.
> >
> > Could you be more specific?  More than anything else, we need to know more
> > about the patent waters we're navigating.
> >
> > Monty
>
> As Dolby AC-X is using enveloppe of the sound since several years, and as it
> seems that Dolby was the first one to use it, I think that using the
> envelope of sound is perhaps patended by dolby.

This has been a technique in speech compression practically since speech
compression and synthesis began.  I doubt Dolby was using this in the 50s and
60s... Levinson-Durbin itself practically predates electrical computers.

I have a nice thick list of references if needed ;-)

But if they *do* have a patent, it's something we'd need to know about.  The
patent would be bogus, but worth knowing about.

Monty