[Video at Xiph] Question about how your video got created ...

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 15 01:36:29 PST 2010

> My question (Q1) is that it seemed your ogg file,
> has embedded text (in several languages),
> as part of the video file itself. Is there
> an Open Source program that combines them,
> and that you have used?

You can go two ways about this: create all those at the same time,
or add the subtitles after the fact. For both, you need a text file with
the subtitles. SRT format is easiest, and is simple and well known.

The first way (creating everything at once) is easiest if you use
ffmpeg2theora to convert the video. ffmpeg2theora has options to
add subtitles. See subtitles.txt in the ffmpeg2theora distribution, or
http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/ffmpeg2theora/subtitles.txt

The other way (adding subtitles after the fact) requires kateenc
(from libkate) and oggz-merge (from liboggz). The first one creates
an Ogg file from a SRT file, and the second merges it with another
Ogg file (your video).

Both methods are described here:
http://code.google.com/p/libkate/wiki/CreatingKateStreams

Last, while such embedded subtitle streams are suported by
Cortado, they will not display if you play the video using Firefox's
native Ogg player, or Chrome's, which will need xiphmont's
Javascript instead. If the user downloads your video though,
VLC can play the embedded streams.

I can't help on the speech recognition area, I'm afraid.