[Tremor] RFC: Tremor API changes

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Tue Aug 31 13:19:26 PDT 2010

"Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterribe at xiph.org> writes:
> Depends on which API you're talking about. The low-level

Sorry for being unclear. I meant the api that is exported to programs
like mplayer, vlc, gstreamer and apparently offered via
/usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0.

> libvorbis-equivalent API can't be exactly the same because it produces
> integer output, whereas libvorbis natively decodes to 32-bit float. The
> lowmem branches have additional differences because the internal
> organization is different (e.g., the use of vorbis_dsp_state instead of
> vorbis_block).
>
> The higher-level vorbisfile API is nearly identical, but it has problems
> with time, which is represented as a double in seconds in libvorbis:
> most of these are changed to be an integer number of milliseconds in
> Tremor. ov_read is also somewhat less flexible (I'm not sure of the
> reasons behind that other than that it's "less code", which is an actual
> concern on embedded devices).

Excellent, can you please add this description to tremor source tree?
I remember spending at least three hours wondering this issue. I even
tried to patch tremor to export the same functions:

"I managed to link gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad against
libvorbisidec1. All I needed to do was to export all symbols that are
common to both libvorbisidec1.so and libvorbis.so so that
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad is happy."

-- http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537710

-Timo