[Tremor] RFC: Tremor API changes

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Tue Aug 31 13:11:02 PDT 2010

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> "Timothy B. Terriberry" <tterribe at xiph.org> writes:
>> Since I didn't get any feedback, I've gone ahead and committed the
>
> As a user a I wonder, why isn't it possible to have the float and
> integer versions export the same API? Is it because the integer

Depends on which API you're talking about. The low-level
libvorbis-equivalent API can't be exactly the same because it produces
integer output, whereas libvorbis natively decodes to 32-bit float. The
lowmem branches have additional differences because the internal
organization is different (e.g., the use of vorbis_dsp_state instead of
vorbis_block).

The higher-level vorbisfile API is nearly identical, but it has problems
with time, which is represented as a double in seconds in libvorbis:
most of these are changed to be an integer number of milliseconds in
Tremor. ov_read is also somewhat less flexible (I'm not sure of the
reasons behind that other than that it's "less code", which is an actual
concern on embedded devices).