[Tremor] questions on porting Tremor

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Sep 8 11:22:21 PDT 2009

> Monty - if I remember correctly there were some vague plans to officially
> incorporate this sort of feature into the source.  Is that right?
> Personally I think it would be a huge help, especially to have the ability
> to skip large tags like image files while still maintaining the basic
> metadata.

Yes, and I've actually worked a bit on it.  It boils down to doing it
one of two ways: Having two seperate pointers into the stream (pointer
A can read ahead and do framing without any need to actually buffer,
pointer B is on-demand data reading and if there's no demand for the
data it can just skip past.  This scheme means buffering overhead is
essentially zero, but you need to be able to have two stream pointers,
so it's not really streaming) or the second possibility is ignoring
checksum and only doing 'light framing' where any damage to the stream
would get through and be read as data (to be fair, this is how most
other non-Ogg systems work).

Monty