[Tremor] questions on porting Tremor

Nicholas Vinen hb at x256.org
Mon Sep 7 22:56:51 PDT 2009

It's been a while since I've worked on Tremor so I'm a bit rusty, but
from memory the lowmem branch needed about 40KB (including Ogg buffers)
to decode a 44.1kHz stereo q=6 file. Audio and file buffering was
additional, with those additions I ended up using about 60KB - just
managed to fit it along with the player into an ARM chip with 64KB RAM.

Unfortunately the Ogg buffering needs depend on the exact file being
played back, which is obviously a problem for a device with such little
memory. I and some others made changes to the code so it would ignore
large header chunks and avoid running out of memory. I can dig up the
patch if you'd like.

Nicholas