[Tremor] Need help skipping comment header

Andy Grundman andy at slimdevices.com
Wed Sep 3 17:25:24 PDT 2008

On Sep 3, 2008, at 5:59 PM, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Andy Grundman <andy at slimdevices.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I'm working on a bug with our Tremor implementation on a very memory-
>> constrained system.
>
> I wouldn't have described it as a bug, but I certainly understand why
> you want to fix it.

Yeah, it's not a Vorbis bug, just a bug in our decoder (since it
crashes). :)

>> I'm hoping someone more familiar with the API knows of a relatively
>> easy way this can be done.
>
> There's not a way in the current API, which is not to say it isn't
> technically feasable or probably all that tricky.  I'm not sure how
> I'd express it cleanly through the API, but an under the covers hack
> that simply skips buffering the second packet at the stream level
> wouldn't be that hard.

Can you point me in the right direction?  By 'stream level' you mean
the Ogg stream right?  The Ogg code buffers up all the pages until
ogg_stream_packetout returns 1 indicating a full packet is available.
So from what I can tell I'd have to somehow skip pages 2-N, and then