[Tremor] fixed vs float audio performance, lowmem branch, and latest memory leak fixes?

Ethan Bordeaux ethan.bordeaux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:27:53 PDT 2008

Hi, first off I'm happy to see this list has sprung back to life.  Vague
accusations of unchecked in code can do that.  :)  Sorry if anyone's
feelings were hurt by this thread, I appreciate the quick response.

As for whether or not I'm on the latest version of Tremor that appears to be
the case.  I had assumed that there hadn't been any changes for a long time
from looking at the changelog which ends on 20020517 and seeing a few
mentions of problems with code not being merged back in from this mailing
list.  Now that I see there's a bug tracking mechanism (unknown to me as of
10 minutes ago) I can also see that there have been fixes made much more
recently than 2002.  I did a quick check on one of the most recently
modified files (res012.c, changed 20070623) and I do have those fixes in
place so I believe I'm up to date.  Great.

Sorry about all that.  It seems that the lowmem branch has every relevant
pending fix rolled into it, right?

Now that that matter is cleared up, can anyone offer advice on my other
questions?

1.  Recommended audio signals to use for functional verification of Vorbis?
I'm not so concerned with listening tests, just want to make sure my test
vectors exercise as much of the codec as possible in as short a period of
time as possible.  I've done work on speech codecs before so I know that
test vectors won't necessarily find all differences between the reference
and the targetted code, but I'd like to do more than simply feed in some
sine sweeps and noise and call it a day.  Would an audio file with lots of
transients of varying power and frequency content be a good place to start?
Whenever I search for audio sample recommendations for codecs it's from the
perspective of analyzing audio quality, not functionality.
2.  What sort of startup delay increase can I expect with lowmem vs "normal"
Tremor?  I know it's target dependent but ballpark figures would be nice
(we're porting to ARM9 if that helps in the estimates).  Are there other
reasons to stay away from lowmem?

Thanks everyone.

Ethan