[Tremor] Implementing Tremor on low-end ARM

Nicholas Vinen hb at x256.org
Mon Nov 24 20:22:59 PST 2008

I submitted a patch to the mailing list a day or two ago but it's stuck
in moderation. So here's a URL for it:

http://x256.org/~hb/Tremor.patch <http://x256.org/%7Ehb/Tremor.patch>

It seems to work fine, at least with my test files. I didn't include a
function to clear the allocation counters between files, which is
necessary because I stubbed out most of the free() calls. Just set all
the "*_allocated" counters in tmem to 0 after you deinit the Vorbis
decode and before you reinitialise it.

I too would be interested to know under what circumstances the various
tables might grow. I tested up to 96kHz 24bit stereo with these buffer
sizes and it seemed to work fine. Yes, I will only support 1 or 2
channels since my player only has stereo output anyway.

I saw that macro, which looks like it's designed to limit the size of
certain memory blocks, although as I said decoding a 96kHz file didn't
seem to require extra memory anyway. It may be due to the way I encoded
it though. Perhaps other encoders could create files which would require
more memory. You may be right that the larger window size might only
occur at higher compression ratios than I have tried.

Nicholas