[Tremor] reg: 32 bit representation

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Wed Mar 30 23:38:04 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:57:41PM +0530, Dhanabal wrote:
> Can you please explain the phrase a little clearly "two-integer floating
> point representation" . I assumed that tremor is fixed point code for 32 bit
> DSP processors. I am working on a 32 bit fixed point DSP processor that does
> have shifters as you have mentioned.

Oops, sorry, a correction...

Older versions of Tremor used this split mantissa/exponent
representation.  The current version is performing a 32x32->64
multiply that then chooses the desired 32 bits of the output (although
24x24->48 would also be enough for the possible 140dB range of both
inputs to the multiply).

Monty